Tuesday, June 29, 2010

One Week: No Makeup


I feel the pressures of social norms and the grip they have on my life. Since when are we unable to leave the house without putting makeup on - even if it's just a quick touch up with mascara and powder? Why do we feel the need to make ourselves up and put so much time into our appearance? Since when does make up and putting time into our appearance so directly effect our self esteem - why must it define us and hold this much control over our lives? Disgusting. I am not bashing people who wear make up - i enjoy getting dolled up just as much as any other girl. I also think make up can accentuate the natural beauty each of us posses. What i am bashing is the make up industry partnering with society's power to make us feel like we NEED make up. To associate so much beauty with stupid products. I'm upset that we, that i, as a woman have allowed myself to buy into the lie that i need makeup. So, i feel the Lord prompting me to fast - from any and all makeup whatsoever. Instead of spending time painting my face, I hope to invest this time and energy in the eternal hope and relationship i have with the Lord. Instead of checking my face and making sure my make up doesn't need touching up everytime i look in the mirror, i want to see beyond and rest assured knowing true beauty is not external.

Make up

Make up FREE! Day 1


Do not let your adorning be external - the braiding of hair and the putting on of gold jewelry, or the clothing you wear - but let your adorning be the hidden person of the heart with the imperishable beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which in God's sight is very precious - 1 Peter 3:4

May the condition of our hearts and the hearts of those God puts in our path be our priority - all the glory to God and not to us. May we truly understand the beauty of seeking the Lord and the IMPERISHABLE, EVERLASTING beauty each of us possess in the relationship we have with the Beloved. All of the lies we've come to believe as women - God, crush them. May we find our beauty in you. So, one week. Until next Tuesday; I will not wear makeup of any kind - chapstick is the only exception.

6 comments:

  1. My BEAUTIFUL Katy,
    You are so amazing and SO breathtakingly gorgeous without makeup! You bring up such a great point that I have often pondered myself. When I was younger, I would only apply mascara and now I am guilty of using makeup that I really don't need. Women are the target of marketing ploys to pour our money into fixing their insecurities and question their natural beauty, rather to conform to society's definition of beautiful. We as women need to discover that natural beauty is the best and that we need to stop trying to fix something that isn't broken. Great post lovely:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katy I commend you for doing this fast, I am always proud of my female friends who give up make up for any amount of time. You look just as great without make up as you do with it on because your personality shines through whenever I see you, because I know what an amazing person you are.

    ReplyDelete
  3. it is so weird, i just had a conversation with my aunt on sunday as we were passing the chanel counter (drool) at the mall of america.

    i was saying how i want to love the beautiful face God gave me, because it seems like i say to myself "oh, i'm just accentuating my features..." and then it turns into "oh, i just don't wanna look tired..." and then it becomes "oh, i can't go out without it."

    praise the Lord for showing us how much He delights in us and is already ravished by our natural beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi my love I am so excited you are doing this because you are beautiful no matter what you have on...or not I guess (not in a dirty way, you sicko hehehe). I got your facebook message and pretty much any picture you see of me I probably dont have makeup on because I am just that lazy, hehhe. I will send you a picture I like though ok. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for sharing this! I have always been a with or without girl when it comes to makeup, I would go to class or leave the house with or without it, but I would always wear it to church and more formal occasions. Recently, I have made the decision to go without almost all the time. My husband encouraged me in this, since he prefers me without and the FREEDOM in that in incredible! I still wear it for weddings and things and on occasion that I feel like it, but to know that I can live without it is very satisfying.
    Enjoy your without week!

    ReplyDelete