Tuesday, March 2, 2010

The Journey: Part 4 - The Union


After the Lord has led us into the tender trials of the desert, returned to us the prosperous vineyards, and transformed the circumstances around us - our Valleys of Trouble and gateways of hope, it is then time for the final part of the journey: a union with Him. "She will give herself to me there, as she did long ago when she was young..."When that day comes," says the Lord, "you will call me 'my husband' instead of 'my master.'" -Hosea 2:16 For isn't this what the Lord desires most? To be unified, made one with and married to us, His beloved bride? The Lord craves for us to know Him more. Not as a master, but as a husband. As a beloved bridegroom and a source of unconditional love.
As we experience journeys like that of Hosea 2, let us truly take heart knowing the journey is meant to bring us closer to our Lord. We may endure thousands of trying journeys in our lifetime - wander through countless deserts, experience an abundance of vineyards, and bear witness to many transformations in our lives and the lives of others. Each journey will be unique - they may have a different purpose than others, take a different amount of time, and some will be more painful. Though each journey will be different, they all lead to a similar destination: drawing closer to the Lord and knowing Him more. More about His character, more about His power and His sovereignty, more about His goodness. Sometimes, we may not be learning more, but may be learning something new about the Lord.
This sacred unification and coming to know the Lord more fully can only happen once we have experiences the various parts of the journey. The journey is meant to prepare us for this union. In the desert, we are stripped of ourselves. We learn to crave only Him. In the vineyards, we rejoice in His blessings and find He is the source insatiable joy. Through the transformations, we see God's glory and His marvelous power. Throughout the journey, we are learning. While there may have been an event - a drastic life change, a loss, a sickness, etc. - that first initiated the journey, the journey itself is far more important than our circumstances. I find myself struggling with this idea t times - it truly is not about my circumstance. It is not about what led me on my own painful journey, almost ten months ago. It is about the journey itself, God wanting me to know Him more. To experience Him more fully and more wholly. Boy, oh boy, how this journey has SUCKED. I'll say it. But i stand in awe and reverence at all the Lord has revealed and taught me. And this journey is far from over. I am still in the desert, it seems. I know, I KNOW (though at times it may not feel like it) that the Lord has plans for my journey. And for yours, too.
Ultimately, let us seek the Lord in each journey and trust Him wholeheartedly. How His plans are all good for us, His beloved. His bridegroom. The Lord desires that we know Him and seek Him, as a bride desires her groom.

"I will make you my wife forever, showing you righteousness and justice, unfailing love and compassion. I will be faithful to you and make you mine, and you will finally know me as Lord" -Hosea 2:19-20

The Union: A sacred union, joining, drawing closer to our Lord, our bridegroom, our Beloved. Coming to know Him more and know more about His character. Ultimately, the very intention for and end goal of our journeys.

This song is so beautiful. Straight from Hosea 2. (Note: Ignore the cheesy slideshow. It's the only youtube version i could really find. If you like the cheesy slideshow, watch it. ;P)
****
I'm headed to Puerto Rico bright and early tomorrow morning. What a blessed escape - heading out to stay with my aunt and spend time with my cousin, Lindsey, as she enjoys her spring break. What a lovely travel companion and best friend my cousin is. I'm hoping and praying to finally get a chance to do a photoshoot that's been brewing in my mind for over a year now. If it happens, i'll be posting it when i return! Along with the poem I wrote that inspired this idea. :) Have a blessed week and weekend. friends. I encourage you to share (and even post? If you're willing...and bold...;P) where you're at on our own journey! I would LOVE LOVE to hear about it and i know our journeys, no matter how painful, can encourage others in their own journeys!

No comments:

Post a Comment