Thursday, March 11, 2010

Travels and Job

Oh, Lord, how brilliant are Your creations. I marvel at Your hands' work and long to stand, in awe and sweet reverence, absorbing the sights and breathtaking designs of You. With every breath of the air You created, as I take in the wonders of You surrounding me, may Your will and Your presence consume me. May Your glorious presence be so thick, that it crushes any desire or part of my own life that does not align with You. Thank you for the blessing of travel.
***


Last week, I traveled to Puerto Rico with my amazing cousin, Lindsey - we soaked up the sun, the sights, and time spent with our aunt Meg and cousin, who currently live down there. What an exquisite escape. I'm posting some of my favorite pics from the trip in this entry.



On the flight home, I read some more of Brennan Manning's Ruthless Trust. He mentioned a scripture from Job, which led me to further exploring the book. WOW. What trials and sufferings did the Lord allow Job to experience. At first, Job's trust in the Lord is unfaltering, and he says, "Naked i came from my mother's womb, and naked i shall return. The Lord gave, and the Lord has taken away; blessed be the name of the Lord." Job 1:21 -and- "Shall we accept the good from God, and not the trouble?" -Job 2:10 These statements reveal such astounding faith, unshakable even in Job's losses and poor health. But then Job begins to question God, begins to charge God with wrong. When the Lord answers Job, He doesn't really reveal why He allowed Satan to test Job. Instead, the Lord questions Job. For quite a few chapters. In this, God reminds Job of His power and His might. I'm hoping to meditate more on the following verses, the Lord's response. May the scripture below prompt you to examine your own hearts, how big the Lord is. He doesn't really owe us answers. Sometimes, we don't get to know why He allows suffering (note the word allowed, not caused. God doesn't cause suffering, for He is all good). Instead we must trust God's goodness, His faithfulness and know, as He did for Job, that He will provide. He will bless us more than we could ever imagine. Soak in the following scripture, friends. Really soak it up.

"Then the Lord answered Job out of the whirlwind and said,...
'Where were you when i laid the foundation of the earth?
Tell me, if you have understanding.
Who determined its measurements -
surely you know!
Or who stretched the line upon it?
On what were its bases sunk,
or who laid the cornerstone,
when the morning stars sang together
and all the sons of God shouted for joy?

Or who shut in the sea with doors
when it burst from the womb,
when i made clouds its garment
and thick darkness its swaddling band,
and prescribed limits for it
and set bars and doors,
and said, 'This far shall you come, and no farther,
and here shall your proud waves be stayed'?

Have you commanded the morning since your days began,
and caused the dawn to know its place,
that it might take hold of the skirts of the earth,
and the wicked be shaken out of it?...

Have you comprehended the expanse of the earth?
Declare, if you know all this.

Have you entered the storehouses of the snow,
or have you seen the storehouses of the hail,
which i have reserved for the time of trouble,
for the day of battle and war?
What is the way to the place where the light is distributed,
or where the east wind is scattered upon the earth?'"
-Job 38: 1, 4-13, 18,22-24

Bottom line: God is in control. His plans are so deep and so unfathomable to the human mind, so pale by comparison. Thank goodness for the majesty of our Lord. Thank You for being the Creator, Lord. Thank You for order, thank You for knowing what's best for us, even when we don't.
***





Tomorrow morning, I'm headed someplace for SPRING BREAK! With the spontaneity of standby, it looks as though my family and i are headed to Honolulu, HI (though it changed from Palm Springs, Cali to Hawaii in a day, so it could change again). A family vacation - a few days spent in paradise, how exquisite! Thank You, God. :)
"I lay down my life, my plans, my right
For I'm captured by Your love.
And though i'll lose this world,
I will know You.

I love You, Lord
Your praises I will sing.
Let heaven shout,
for I have been redeemed."
-Bethel Live (feat. Kristene Mueller) Let Heaven Shout


1 comment:

  1. What a blessing for you to be able to travel to all these wonderful places... Have a blast, katy!! You are loved :)

    ReplyDelete