Friday, September 10, 2010

ACTS: A Call To Serve - ministry Proposal

God has really been placing a burden on my heart - there is SO much need in this world, even in the community around us. I think, as Christians, we all need to be aware of that need and God's call for us to serve, to reach out, to go lower and be servants. This has been something that i've been praying about for a few months now. After being blessed to receive First Runner Up in the Miss Lakeville Pageant and now serving as an ambassador to Lakeville, i felt God beckoning me further - past the pretty dresses, the sparkly crown, the parades and events. God has placed the importance of service and the need for more opportunities on my heart - the need to equip others, to get them plugged in and provide people with places where they can put their faith into ACTION. God's ways are so wonderful, and I'm not the only one whose felt a tug on my heart. Miss Lakeville 2010 and my dear friend Jenna Diercks has also felt God calling her to serve. God had placed this dream and calling in our lives a couple months ago and continues to grow it.

On a mission trip to El Salvador and Guatemala (mid July), God laid a name for this ministry: ACTS. A Call To Serve. I wrote it in my journal and tucked the idea in the back of my head somewhere. Now, a couple months later, God has stirred again and brought this idea to mind. After listening to the song Turn Down the Music by Shane & Shane (listen below) in the car yesterday, the Lord provided further instruction: serve my people. Serve these people. The song outlines Matthew 25:34-40:

34"Then the King will say to those on his right, 'Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. 35For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, 36I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.'
37"Then the righteous will answer him, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? 38When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? 39When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?'
40"The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.'


Jesus has clearly instructed us to serve those in need, those who are hurting, those who feel isolated, and those who simply need His unending love. My vision for ACTS is to work with already existing ministries, charities and organizations, meet their specific needs, provide ministry, and provide college (highschool? middle school? adults?) students/people with opportunities to serve. God has given us all unique passions, for a specific group of people, etc. He has given us gifts, talents to serve Him, by serving others. He has given us ALL we need to serve others. It just takes the next step. Do you feel convicted?

For now, my vision for this potential ministry involves focusing on specific groups outlined in Matthew 25:
1) Homeless/People in Need
2) Strangers/Immigrants
3) Sick
4) Prison

It would be AMAZING to partner, work with and meet the needs of homeless shelters, food shelthers, clothing drives, English language classes, Children's hospitals, nursing homes, Alcoholics Anonymous, and doing ministry - in prisons, on the street, in spending time with those who are hurting/sick/in need. There is so much need, yet we have been blessed abundantly - we are not helpless. By following specific passions and giving the Lord a chunk of our time to SERVE others, in one ministry or another, we are following the call of James 2:17 and 2:22:

17In the same way, faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by action, is dead. - James 2:17

22You see that his faith and his actions were working together, and his faith was made complete by what he did. - James 2:22

We are called to put our faith into action. We are called to minister and serve those in need. For whatever we do for the least of these, we did for Jesus Christ, our Lord and Savior.

Isaiah 58:10-11 promises THIS:
10 and if you spend yourselves in behalf of the hungry
and satisfy the needs of the oppressed,
then your light will rise in the darkness,
and your night will become like the noonday.

11 The LORD will guide you always;
he will satisfy your needs in a sun-scorched land
and will strengthen your frame.
You will be like a well-watered garden,
like a spring whose waters never fail.


John Piper comments about this verse:
"...if we pour ourselves out for others, God promises to make us like "a watered garden" - that is, we will receive the water we need for refreshment and joy. But even more, we will thus be a "spring of water" that does NOT fail - for others, for the demanding, exhausting, draining ministry of urban self-giving...God has made us to flourish by being spent for others. " - When the Darkness Will Not Lift, Piper 63

That is a promise. God is calling us to spend ourselves, to literally WASTE ourselves, exhaust ourselves, pour ourselves out for OTHERS and their needs. But, we will not be left with nothing. Rather, we will NEVER see an end to God's glorious riches. He will continue to fill us up. We WILL have the time and the energy to continue to serve and continue to waste our lives for others, thanks be to God.

John 7:38 - Whoever believes in me, as[a] the Scripture has said, streams of living water will flow from within him."

So, the next step? I need help. I need resources. I need others who feel a passion for one or more of these areas who feel convicted to step up and serve. I want ACTS to be the bridge and outlet for students to serve organizations, charities and people in NEED. Do you feel convicted and/or passionate about helping? God has yet to reveal how this will look, but i'm entrusting it all to Him. And it's time to get others on board, so this vision is not limited by my own tiny brain. Will you help? If so, comment on this note and include an email address. :) Keep pressing in.

A final word: In the past few months, the Lord has also placed the word "revival" on my heart. This world needs revival. The church needs revival. And in what better way to see a newness of life, a resurrected church, a fiery passion than to reach out, beyond church walls into places of need? This whole world needs revival. If you feel called to international missions, know that your mission field, your place to serve is wherever you are. Right now. In your very city.

"Turn down the music,
Turn down the noise,
Turn up Your voice, O God,
Let us hear the sound

of people broken,
Willing to love,
Give us Your heart, O God,
a new song rising up

Let it be our worship,
Let it be our true religion,
In this world, but not of it,
Holding on to our confession..."

-Shane & Shane

2 comments:

  1. miss katy...watch an episode of "if you really knew me" on MTV, i love love love this show, because it breaks down barriers, cliques and hate. and replaces it with love and community. that is my thought, although i dont know what to do with it yet, i am sure that if it is meant to be a bridge to something else i can help you with, then i am all in. and i can pretty much say that my daughter aly would be too.
    <3
    cyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katy- Stumbled upon your site in a strange sort of God led search. Read this blog post and had to drop you a note. Not sure this was what God was leading you to or not, but he led me to start it in 2006. I think you'll be amazed at the parallels between what you wrote and what we started. You can find out more at www.actsofiowa.org, and if you have questions, can contact us through that website. Wondering what ever became of this dream for you. God's fullest blessings to you. Joel B.

    ReplyDelete