Thursday, February 4, 2010

The Awkward In Between

The chorus of Imogen Heap’s song Wait It Out has been a song I keep playing over and over again. Her creative lyrics, so poetically composed, get me every time! And the chorus of this song brings up an excellent point:

“Everybody says that time heals everything, only the end

But what of the wretched hollow?

The endless in between?

Are we just going to wait it out?”


That classic response and words of encouragement offered during the “time in between” often have to do with trusting that time heals everything, knowing what lies ahead will be even more amazing, and the idea of finding clarity and peace at the ‘end’.


While all of this encouragement may be good and true, what are you supposed to do during the time “in between”? The painful time of grieving the loss of a loved one, tending to a broken heart, the time in between jobs, big events, the time between knowing where your life is headed and waiting for the next step to be revealed? Even the joyous ‘in between’ in the season of engagement and waiting for your wedding day ;)


When we are so focused on the end, the healing, the closure, the knowing, the new season, the time in between can seem dreadful and pointless. We so badly want to see what’s around the corner or for our struggles to be resolved. We want to see the purpose to our strife or broken heart, see God’s promises being fulfilled, witness the fruits that are produced because of our obedience, see the darkness and uncertainty of what lies ahead drenched in light and clarity. It is only human nature to be concerned about the finish line and not the race or journey. Though we have faith, it is the times when our faith is affirmed and we see God’s hand that makes our relationship with Him so much…easier.


But when our faith is tried, it is more true. Think about how much we are refined and grow in the time in between! The Lord definitely has a purpose for our journey in it’s entirety, even the awkward in between. He has mapped it out:

And let us run with endurance the race God has set before us. We do this by keeping our eyes on Jesus, the champion who initiates and perfects our faith...” –Hebrews 12:1-2


Instead of cursing this “wretched hollow” or wondering if the Lord has abandoned us in a time of need, in the in between we loathe, can’t we rejoice knowing the Lord has a purpose during this time? Let us take refuge knowing He is taking this time to “perfect our faith” and bring restoration. “I will never fail you. I will never abandon you” –Deut 31:6 Our God has gone before us, He knows every struggle we will encounter, everything we will experience in the time in between. And He holds our hearts, if we allow Him to.

Francesca Battistelli’s song Time In Between is one of my favorites. How this song explains the beauty of the time in between:

It’s the time in between, that I fall down to my knees,

waiting on what You’ll bring.

And the things that I can’t see,

I know my song’s incomplete

Still I’ll sing in the time in between”


Find peace in this time in between, whatever it may be or look like. Let us take the time to find God and see His hand amongst the time we may loathe. With our eyes focused on the Lord and all that He is, let us press on towards Him and towards the finish, knowing there is a purpose and so so SO much beauty in the time in between!

5 comments:

  1. Before I got to the end of the post... I wanted to write about Francessca's Time In Between Song... it is probably one of my top 10 favorites!! Soooo beautiful :) :)

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your so right about focusing on the end and not worrying about the middle, even though its the most important part.

    Your blog post really makes me reflect about life, where I am going, and where I want to be, and really I dont know the answer to either, but I know to remain in Him as much as I can.

    Thank You Katy, you are a such a positive encouragement in my life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful song (by Francesca)! I am a big fan of hers, but have not had the pleasure of hearing this one song. :) Thank you for putting it up, Katy! I downloaded it and had it playing loudly through my speakers. It's beautiful!!
    Wonderful post, dear.
    Blessings,
    ~Miss Raquel

    ReplyDelete
  4. katy has a blog...yay! i will be checkin in...hahah and of course stalking you

    ReplyDelete